Car Accident Personal Injury Claims In Missouri

According to latest statistics published by the State Highway Patrol of Missouri, last year, 142,966 car wrecks occurred in St Louis Missouri. Around 51,060 people were injured and 786 people died from car accidents. In every 10 minutes, one person gets injured and in every 11 hours, one person gets killed from car accidents in Missouri. Car accidents can happen anytime and as a citizen, you need to know how you can get the right amount of compensation from your insurance company for any kind of car accident damage. The most important thing is you need to know is the common causes of car accidents and avoid habits that cause car accidents.

Causes of Missouri Auto Accidents

Accounting for 17.3 percent of the total number of auto accidents in Missouri, speeding is the number one reason for car accidents. Speeding is also the reason for 38.2 percent of the fatal car accidents in Missouri. The second big reason for car accidents in Missouri is drunk driving. Although drunk driving caused just 4.4 percent of accidents, it caused 26.8 percent of fatal car crashes in Missouri.  Other notable reasons for car accidents in Missouri include unsafe lane changes, improper turns, use of mobile phone while driving, and defective automobile and automobile parts.

Car Accident Personal Injury Laws and Legislation in Missouri

The statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit for car accident personal injury claims in Missouri is 5 years which is way more than that of most other states in the United States. So, you can file a court case within five years of the accident. If you file a case after 5 years, the court will almost certainly refuse to hear your case.

Like many other states, the pure competitive negligence rule applies in Missouri. Under this rule, an injured person receives a reduction in compensation amount equal to his or her share of the fault- no matter how big or small the percentage is. For example, if the total damage of a car accident is assessed $10,000 and you were found guilty for 15 percent of it, you will be able to collect $8500 from the other guilty party. Due to the implementation of pure competitive negligence in Missouri, if you were assigned 99 percent of the fault, you will still be able to get compensation for the remaining 1 percent of the damage from the other party.

How a St Louis personal injury lawyer can help?

In most cases, car accident personal claims require the help of a personal injury compensation lawyer because insurance companies tend to offer a smaller amount of compensation for the damages caused by a road accident. If you think you are being offered the right amount of compensation, you can very well handle everything by yourself. But if you think the amount assessed by your insurance company or the insurance company of other party offering less than what the actual damage compensation should be, you should hire a lawyer. Then, your lawyer will make the right assessment for you and file a lawsuit against the insurance company or the other party.